By Julius Musungu
President Uhuru Kenyatta today gave the 10th Presidential address on COVID 19 subsequently retaining the 9 pm to 4 am curfew and ordering the closure of all bars and subsequently banning the sale of alcohol in restaurants. The President issued the directives alongside a raft of measures as outlined below.
1. The nationwide curfew will remain in force for another 30 days.
2. no sale of alcohol in eateries and restaurants across Kenya effective midnight tonight for the next 30 days
3. Restaurants and eateries amended from 8 pm to 7 pm effective midnight for 30 days.
4. All bars remain closed until further notice.
5. All licenses for bars operating in breach of Directive 4 shall be permanently withdrawn. The IG of Police to oversee this.
I6. The IG of Police shall file a weekly return of all bars whose licenses have been withdrawn to the CS Interior.
7. IG police shall ensure that his officers spare no one (including waheshimwa) who is out after curfew without being an essential worker or who defies the health protocols set out. The rules are for ALL Kenyans regardless of rank.
8. The National Gov’t Admin Officers and National Police Service shall enforce the MoH guidelines on public gatherings and especially funerals.
9. MoH will develop a protocol to temporarily retain retired ICU staff, and anesthetists to deal with serious Covid-19 cases in the county.
10. Any GoK institutions eg stadia, education facilities, etc. upon designation by CS Health shall be availed to MOH for isolation and quarantine.